When you are moving abroad, there are many things you need to consider before you start packing your suitcase. Some of these include:
- What is the climate like?
- What job am I going to work in while living abroad?
- How long am I going for?
When I moved over to London, my initial time frame was to come over for a year. However that has now been extended, but I wouldn’t have packed more than I originally did. Remember you can always buy more when you arrive.
Here is my packing list for moving abroad; where you would be experiencing a wide variety of seasons, and wear for many different occasions.
Clothing: Make sure to mix these items up so some can be profession, casual or both!
- 3 pairs of pants
- 2 – 3 knit jumpers
- 2 base layers/thermals (for cold climates only)
- 1 coat
- 1 jacket
- 1 – 2 cardigans
- 3 long sleeve tops
- 4 Short sleeve shirts
- 2 scarfs (one thick, one light)
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 Beanie
- 5 pairs of socks
- 8 pairs of undies, 3 bras (girls)
- 1 pair of exercise tights/pants
- 1 – 2 exercise tops
- 1 comfy jumper
- 1 – 2 Dresses/skirts/shorts where appropriate
- 2 pairs of stocking tights (girls)
- 1 hat
- Travel size skin care
- Travel size body wash/soap
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Face moisturizer
- Travel Shampoo and Conditioner
Girls (basic makeup):
- Eye liner
- Eye shadow Pallet
- Essential make up brushes
- 1 pair of boots
- 1 pair of flats
- 1 pair of sandals/thongs (flip flops)
- 1 pair of runners for a variety of activities
- Power Adapter
- 1 small power board (instead of having multiple power adapters)
- 1 small cosmetic bag of everyday medications (Panadol, bandaids etc.)
- One set of everyday Jewelry
- Yearly Travel Insurance Certificate
- Passport/Travel documents
- Hair Curler/Straightener – Girls
Remember to try and choose items of clothing that you can mix and match, as nothing gets more boring than constantly wearing the same outfits. I would not pack more than this and I would only pack this much if you are going straight to the city you will be living. Otherwise it will not be a lot of fun pulling a heavy bag whilst travelling.
Have any other suggestions? Comment your suggestions and share with other MOW readers!